Using the Welsh Language at your Club.
1 in 5 people in Wales speak Welsh. Offering club sessions in Welsh can:
- Attract new members and volunteers to your sport
- Meet the needs of your current members
- Create a sense of team and national pride
Welsh speakers are more likely to take part in sport and volunteer. 42% of children aged 10-14 can speak Welsh and this figure is increasing.
OK, so where do I start?
There are a few things you could do:
1. An online tool will help you understand what the potential benefits are of using Welsh at your club and, based on real life examples, it suggests practical ideas on how to develop Welsh in your club, and how you can use the language in coaching sessions in particular.
2. if you're feeling up for using more Welsh at your club, then perhaps coming up with an action plan will help you get going. Download our help sheet which will give you a few quick and easy ideas on where to start. Ideas include, find out who actually speaks Welsh at your club, using some simple Welsh phrases in your social media messages, and much more.
3. Need a bit more help? Access a practical pack called #amdani created especially for sports clubs and associations. Simply click here.
Here's how rugby coach Mike Bubbins is practicing his Welsh language skills at his sessions.