Insurance is extremely important for all sports clubs. This doesn’t just refer to insurance for individual coaches. The club must be insured adequately to cover the activities it delivers.
- Check with your national governing body to find out if they provide insurance for clubs. If they do, you will probably need to affiliate to them to benefit.
Check whether your Governing Body has multi-use Welsh Sport Association (WSA) membership as the benefits apply to you too, such as discounted insurance via Integro. For more information contact Richard.firstname.lastname@example.org, Head of Business Development (Wales) on 02920 822609/ 07718 565379 or visit: http://wsa.wales/our-services/shared-services/
Insurance can also be taken out with a private insurance company
You will need to consider cover for:
- Public liability
- Professional indemnity
- Personal accident
- Sports equipment
- Soft tissue insurance
- Private medical
- Motor insurance
- Always seek professional guidance
Volunteers and Insurance
- Your insurance company is likely to need details of your volunteer roles. Volunteers will need to work within the boundaries of these roles to remain covered (your national governing body or insurance broker will be able to help you with defining roles)
- You should make volunteers aware of the insurance in place – what it covers and any restrictions
- Volunteer drivers will need appropriate car insurance if they use their own cars – you need to see copies of up to date driving licences and insurance cover. Explain the policy to them, particularly if the volunteer is paid expenses
- Check that you have the right insurance cover in place if volunteers are driving vehicles owned by the club
- Double check any age restrictions on your insurance cover
- Make sure you make a note of when to renew your insurance. It is also a good idea to regularly review your insurance needs. Don’t just simply renew your policy as your needs may have changed
- Having insurance as a coach is paramount, especially in terms of public liability cover for coaching activities in relevant settings.
- Public liability insurance is often part of a wider National Governing Body coach membership offer that also includes personal accident cover and unlimited access to support resources. Each governing body is different so carefully check what is included and read all policy terms and conditions before undertaking any coaching activities.
- UK Coaching also provides a multi-sport cover
- Always, always seek the guidance of a professional