How A Committee Works
A committee should operate as a team, drawing on the skills and talents of each member, working towards common goals to ensure the club thrives.
Effective committee members should have:
- A commitment to the club
- Sufficient time to devote
- An understanding of the role of the committee and their role within it
- Leadership skills and willingness to accept responsibility
- Listening skills
- The ability to use technology to communicate to members
The specific tasks required of committee members vary from club to club, according to the club’s plan and the strengths of its volunteers.
It is important that the committee is made up of people with a range of skills and expertise to support the broad range of governance and development needs of the club.
This website has plenty of information on:
- Setting up a committee and its basic structure
- Different types of club meetings with sample agendas
- Establishing subcommittees and why they are useful
- Recruiting officers and why it is important to be diverse
- Different roles needed on a committee with example role descriptions.