Reviewing your coaching
You don’t need us to tell you that coaching is an important part of running a club. But how often do you review your club’s coaching needs?
Have you recently sat down to properly consider whether you are meeting the needs of your members? Do you cater adequately for all ages, abilities and sporting disciplines of your membership?
When you’re busy running a club, it’s easy to take your eye off the ball. That’s why it’s important to set dates in your calendar to review coaching. Make sure you set reminders too so that you can prepare and make time for a review in your schedule.
So how do I start?
Firstly, consider who you need around the table. A small focus group is sufficient. This might involve:
- Coaching staff
- One or two committee members
- Youth representative
- Volunteer coordinator
Explain in advance that this is an opportunity to develop and support coaching at your club.
Take a look at our club meetings information for some top tips on leading successful meetings.
When setting your agenda, remember that coaching needs of your club will vary depending on a number of factors including:
- Your club's goals and ambitions
- The size of your club
- Your sport
- Your members, players and participants requirements
Reviewing your club's coaching provision regularly to make sure it is adequate and meets your needs also means looking at:
- Appropriate and up to date qualifications
- Appropriate insurance cover
- Minimum coaching age
- Safeguarding children and vulnerable groups
Check out your National Governing Body of Sport for information on supporting your coaches.
Want to become a coach?
Most national governing bodies have what’s called a Coaching Pathway. This is the term given to the journey of a coach. For example, it could be the journey from managing Under 10s five-a-side to managing Wales. Find out more about Coaching Pathways here.
Elsewhere on this website, you can also find information on:
- Recruiting your people
- Volunteer role descriptions (coaches, committee members etc)
- Funding your coach education
- How to introduce the Welsh language into your sessions.
Useful Information for Coaches:
Where to look for nutrition information online?
General nutrition questions:
Sports Nutrition Information:
- BDA Food factsheet on Sport
- Australian Institute of Sport Factsheets
- Team USA Sport Nutrition Factsheets
- The Collegiate and Professional Sports Dietitians Association (CPSDA) fact sheets
- Get Set to Eat Fresh resource
- Sport Parent EU - Nutritional Considerations for parents
Need a professional?