If you are planning to open a new bank account for your local sports club, you need to shop around and consider which bank account best suits your organisation.
One of the biggest considerations is security. Community groups should have a bank account with at least two signatories. While some banks may offer all signatories full online banking access, they may not provide dual authorisation on online payments.
But don’t despair – we have done the hard work so you don’t have to. Here are a number of current accounts which offer dual authorisation on online banking.
Barclays Community Account
- Eligibility: Annual turnover of less than £100,000
- Access: Online, app, phone or in branch
- Fees: Free, everyday banking as long as you continue to meet criteria
- Up to three signatories so that online transactions can be authorised
- Up to six debit cards and a cheque book
- To apply, check your eligibility and collect a reference number here and then call 0800 515 46 or visit your local branch
CAF (Charities Aid Foundation) Cash Account
- Eligibility: Charities and not-for-profit organisations
- Access: Online, phone and paying-in at HSBC branches
- Fees: £5 monthly for everyday banking. Check for other charges
- £1000 minimum balance to open
- Dual authorisation on online transactions
- To apply, call 03000 123 456 or visit cafbank.org
Lloyds TSB’s Treasurer’s Account
- Eligibility: Annual turnover of less than £50,000
- Access: online, app, phone, in branch or at Post Office counters
- Fees: Free day-to-day banking
- No minimum deposit required
- Up to three signatories to authorise all payments
- Delegated access available for online banking with individual payment limits
- Business Knowledgebox - a free online collection of guides and fact-sheets
- Free presentation cheques
- To apply, call 0800 056 0056 or visit their website.
Triodas Bank Charity Current Account
- Eligibility: Only registered charities with a turnover of more than £5000 can apply
- Access: Online, phone or post
- Fees: There are charges for day-to-day banking, eg 40p per cheque drawn or deposited
- No credit or debit card
- Earn interest on balances over £5000
- Bristol-based contact team
- To apply, call 0330 355 0355 or visit https://www.triodos.co.uk/current-accounts/charity-current-account
Unity Trust Bank
- Eligibility: Unity Trust Bank offers different accounts for different levels of turnover. Below are the features for organisations with a turnover of up to £100,000
- Access: Online, phone, and paying in at Post Office (cash only), NatWest and RBS
- Fees: £6 per month, charged quarterly
- £500 minimum deposit required to open
- Single, dual and triple authorisation of payments available through online banking
- No debit card offered
- To apply, call 0345 140 1000 or visit https://apply.unity.co.uk
While all reasonable care has been taken to ensure that the information provided is correct, no liability is accepted by Sport Wales for any loss or damage caused to any person relying on any statement or omission. This is for information only and should not be relied upon as offering advice for every set of circumstances. Specific advice should always be sought in each instance.
Club Solutions was created to help sports clubs and volunteers in Wales. So, if you have any further questions or you would like to find out more about managing your club’s finances, please get in touch with our friendly team, or let’s chat on social!